Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Cranberry Sauce, Whole Food Style

Every year I enjoy the creative challenge of remaking artery-clogging and blood sugar raising holiday food into whole food wonders. Cranberry sauce is perhaps the easiest thing on the table to make (15 minute cook time), and so tasty when you make it yourself. When it comes from a can, it is high in refined sugar, or other crazy lab-created sugars. Ocean spray canned sauce has "glucose" and "glucose-fructose" in it. My personal rule: If I don't know where it comes from, I don't want to put it in my body.

The other great thing about making your own cranberry sauce is that you can add spices, which enhances the flavor. Most commercial sauces don't have spices. They rely on sugar.

This recipe is as simple as they get. You can get creative with adding orange zest or whole cardamom pods. I like recipes that I don't have to make special preparations for, so this one worked well for me. I make it at 10:15 at night, along with roasted potatoes, baked apple and steamed bok choy, and had dinner on the table by 11:00 pm. We had cranberry sauce on EVERYTHING.


Super Simple Cranberry Sauce Recipe
12 oz of fresh or frozen ORGANIC cranberries (fresh is better)
3/4 cup honey (local/ organic where possible)
1 cup pure apple juice, no sugar added (or water+ the skin of one apple)
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a pan. The water will not cover the cranberries at this point, but worry not. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium high heat. Berries will start to burst. Stir to avoid volcano effect and sticking. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until cause starts to thicken. Store in the refrigerator and use within 5 days. I store mine in a jar and have it in my packed lunch all week long. Who says cranberry sauce is limited to the holidays?

1 comment: