Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Chickpeas with Apricots

This recipe was inspired by an old housemate who made this for our house one time, and it blew my socks off it was so good. I made it last night for me and my partner, and it it still that good. He is a full blown meat eater, and declared halfway through the meal that it satisfied his meat craving. I knew at that moment that I had to share it. As I advocate for this "whole-food, plant-based diet," I am going to share recipes to go along with it. Make this for family and friends.

Chickpeas with Apricots
Serves 4-6

2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
1 yellow onion, chopped small
2 cans cooked chickpeas
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2-3 small ripe red tomoatoes, chopped
1/2 lb dried apricots, quartered
1 tsp salt (if chickpeas are not cooked with salt)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
Water or vegetable stock

Heat large pan on medium high heat (I used a cast iron). Add the oil and then the onions. SauteƩ the onion for about two minutes, or until slightly golden. Add all the ingredients to the pan and stir fry together for about 3 minutes. Then, turn the heat down to medium-low. Add about a cup of water and let simmer, covered if possible, for 15-20 minutes. Add more water in the middle if it needs it. The apricots should be soft, and there should be no wateriness to it. I served it garnished with some fresh cilantro over brown rice (see below).

Steamed Brown Rice
makes enough for 4-6 people, ratios can be changed as needed (1 part rice: 2 parts water)

2 cups brown rice
4 cups water

Add brown rice and water to a pot with a lid. Bring to a boil with the lid on. When bubbling, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 30 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed. While cooking, try not to remove the lid too often, as it disrupts the cooking process. Remove from heat and let cool for a moment without the lid on before serving.

Let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment