Monday, September 9, 2013

Toasted Sesame Treats

Sesame seeds rock my socks, and they should rock yours, too. If you are sesame lover, your love is well founded, for this is an ancient-hailed healing food. They are incredibly rich in minerals, which are a valuable asset in a time of depleted soils, and thus mineral-poor foods. At the moment, I am skeptical of esteeming specific foods because of some miraculous chemical compound that's going to cure you of cancer. However, sesame scores high on the "awesomeness" scale in my universe. Have faith in your food and it will serve you well.

On the holy quest for healthy snack foods, I have come upon a fated, yet ancient combination of sesame and honey. These snacks are addictive, so be careful you don't eat the whole batch, as you'll most certainly be sad the next day. Please keep these refrigerated (to keep them fresh and hard), though feel free to put some in a bag and take 'em on your hike. Note that I use coconut oil because of its tastiness and its ability to harden when cold. However, feel free to experiment with other oils, such as olive.


Toasted Sesame Treats
2 cups raw sesame seeds (whole or hulled)
4 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 pinches of salt

1. Toast the sesame seeds. To do this, I use a big cast iron pan, and put all the seeds in it, dry. I turn the heat to medium high (high can burn them quickly), and stir constantly. You will hear them pop. Do not leave them at this point. When you start to get the aroma of sesame, and the seeds darken slightly, you can stop at any time. I like the toasted flavor, so I toast mine a little extra.

2. Grind the sesame seeds. I use a nut grinder, but you could use a food processor, a food mill, a mortar and pestle, or whatever means you have. Roughly ground is fine. I find if I don't grind sesame seeds, they pass right through and it's like I never ate them at all.

3. Add oil, honey and salt into a saucepan on medium heat. Heat until melted. Add all the ground sesame and stir throughly. Heat the whole thing for a few minutes on med-low. The "dough" may seem a little dry and non-coherent, but it will stick once refrigerated.

4. Flatten the dough on a piece of parchment paper on a flat surface (place, baking sheet). Press down and shape with a flat spoon until it's about 1/4- 1/2" thick.

5. Put it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

6. Get it out and cut into small squares (the size of candies). Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment